DSP Saeed Ahmed Rind and SHO Syed Atique Hussain Shah Suspended Following Death of Nizamuddin in Karachi Police Custody

Karachi Police Take Action Following Death of Suspect in Custody

In a recent development, a deputy superintendent of police (DSP) and a station house officer (SHO) from the Special Investigation Unit (SIU) have been suspended by the Karachi police. This decision comes following the death of a suspect while in custody. The DSP, Saeed Ahmed Rind, and the SHO, Syed Atique Hussain Shah, have been placed under suspension pending a departmental inquiry into their conduct.

According to a statement issued by the spokesperson for Crime Investigation Agency (CIA) Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Ahmed Nawaz Cheema, a constable and a former cop have also been arrested in connection with the case. The suspect, identified as Nizamuddin, passed away in police custody on January 13, prompting Cheema to order an investigation into the incident.

The statement revealed that Nizamuddin was apprehended in Manghopir on January 12 on charges of extortion. He was subsequently taken to the SIU police station for questioning, and a case was registered against him under Sections 322 (manslaughter), 365 (kidnapping or abduction), and 34 of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC). Unfortunately, during the course of the investigation, the suspect died, and his body was later discovered near his home in Manghopir.

Further details provided by the statement indicated that the SIU’s former assistant sub-inspector, Sajid, and constable Shadab have been apprehended. Efforts are currently underway to arrest assistant sub-inspector Aqeel and a private individual.

Karachi Additional Inspector General Khadim Hussain Rind has suspended the SIU DSP and SHO following the inquiry report, as confirmed by CIA DIG Cheema. When questioned about the decision to not take the suspect’s body to the hospital, Cheema explained that the policemen dropped off the body in Manghopir so that his relatives could claim it.

Meanwhile, police surgeon Dr. Summaiya Syed informed Dawn.com that the suspect’s body was taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for legal formalities. She stated that the cause of death cannot be determined until the results of the samples are received. Dr. Syed mentioned that there were no apparent signs of violence, and samples have been collected for chemical analysis and histopathology.

This incident has raised concerns among the public, and a thorough investigation is necessary to uncover the truth behind the suspect’s death. The Karachi police must ensure transparency and accountability in handling such cases to maintain public trust in law enforcement agencies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!